I worked a full 12 hour shift on Wednesday, my last day at work, and then spent Thursday packing with my mom. We were scheduled to move to Price sometime that weekend. Rich and I went in to the hospital at about 8 am on Friday. They started an IV and hooked me up to an external fetal monitor that monitored my contractions and the heartbeat. At about 11am they started the Pitocin drip and we called my momand aunt D to come in. Grandma and Grandpa Holt were also in and out during the day. They slowly increased the drip from 1 to 15 and by 3pm my contractions were one on top of another and I was doing just fine. I wasn’t really uncomfortable yet. So, Rich went to eat lunch. Moments after he left my water broke and then the contractions were really painful. I only waited until 5:30 for an epidural. Right before the epidural I had a shot of fentanyl, which was really nice!! The epidural was great and after that, I didn’t feel much at all. It took until 9pm for me to be fully dilated and effaced and ready to push. They had completely turned off the Pitocin drip because my contractions were overlapping each other. About 9:15 I felt the urge to push. I didn’t feel any pain, but could feel pressure and oncoming contractions. They had to put me on 10 Liters of oxygen with a facemask because every time a contraction would come, the heart rate, which was normally 110-120, would dip down to 70. I pushed for an hour and a half. After about an hour of pushing Dr. Park said I would need help to get him out. With a little help from Dr. Park, and about 5 pushes later he was here. Kailer was born in Salt Lake City, UT at the University Hospital, at 10:28pm on July 14th. He was 6 lbs 15 oz and 19 ½ in long and had dark black hair. The cord was around his head once. They plopped him on my chest and he was grunting, not really crying. His lips were purple. He didn’t stay long on my chest because he wasn't breathing well on his own. They took him over to the baby warmer where they suctioned him out and bagged him for a little bit. His first apgar score after 1 minute was a 4. Then it was 8 after 5 minutes and 8 after 10 minutes. Rich went with him for his first bath and met me in my other room around 12:30 am. They brought him in just for an hour or so and then asked if it was ok if they watched him overnight because his oxygen saturations were low and he needed to be on some oxygen overnight. So at 2:30 am we finally went to bed and they brought us in to feed him around 8 am. When we saw him, he was hooked up to a monitor and had an IV in his head. I was shocked! The staff told me he had a low temperature and low glucose and they thought maybe he had an infection, so they did blood cultures and then left an IV in his head for future use, if needs be. They also did a chest x-ray that turned out to be negative for a pneumothorax. Later that day they discharged him from the acute sick baby nursery to the well baby nursery and he was able to stay in our room. Later that day Aunt Michelle and her kids showed up with Uncle Daniel and Grandpa Schroeder. They had just gotten into town from Florida and they all pulled over to the side of the road on Friday night and listened to him being born with the cell phone on their way home. Then on Sunday morning we got to take out the IV because the blood cultures were negative. He had his hepatitis shot, circumcision, and pku done that day. At about 3pm we got to take him home to Price. Our families had gotten together and moved all of our things on Saturday down to Price from Salt Lake City. So grateful for everyones help:) It was truly was a blessing how everything worked out ok and it was such a wonderful experience.



Getting a little O2 help for the babe


IV :( sad


I have never felt such exhaustion in all my life...







Going home today! IV is out and we are headed to our new home in Price :)
No comments:
Post a Comment